Urology has traditionally been a subspecialty focusing on the surgical management of disease in the genitourinary system. However, urology services are increasingly providing more ambulatory outpatient procedures and minimally invasive surgery is playing major roles in the day‐to‐day practice of most urologists.
At Ambulatory Urological Surgery Center we provide the highest quality patient care in a warm, compassionate, private ambulatory environment. Our practice utilizes state‐of‐the‐art equipment, electronic medical records, and minimally invasive outpatient surgery.
Patients will receive high quality treatment to their particular needs by specialized and knowledgeable personnel in a familiar environment. This could reduce iatrogenic complications as well as nosocomial infections.
DESCRIPTION OF THE AMBULATORY UROLOGICAL SURGERY CENTER FACILITY:
• On the 1st floor of a fully designated Medical Building with three large capacity elevators.
• Building has high security with video monitoring on basement, lobby and each individual floor, as well as on site security guard.
• Next to our urological medical suite established in 1976.
• Within the HIMA‐San Pablo Medical Center and 1 minute walking distance to the Emergency Room.
• Easy access to handicapped patients and equipment.
• Operating Room in compliance with clean room requirements, including ceiling, walls, floor, lighting, electrical and medical gas sources.
• Centralized oxygen and suction units with ceiling outlets and hoses to supply anesthesia cart and suction receptacles.
• Dedicated central air conditioner unit with HEPA filter to help maintain room sterility.
• Electrocauthery system.
• Anesthesia cart with EKG and oxymeter monitoring.
• Lead‐covered Operating Room walls for radiation safety.
• Automatic urological Operating Room table with fluoroscopic capabilities.
• Yellofins (Allen Medical) stirrups for patients in lithotomy position.
• Portable fluroscopy C‐arm (Philips Endura) unit with image memory.
• Contrast material for genito‐urinary fluoroscopic studies.
• Radiation barrier (Scatter‐Ban) for fluoroscopic urological table, to provide additional safety to personnel from scattered radiation.
• Radiation measurement devices for exposed personnel.
• Storage for clean and sterile equipment.
• Laser equipment for vaporization of prostate, bladder tumor and treatment of urethral stricture.
• Rigid and flexible cystoscope, resectoscope, rigid and flexible ureteroscope.
• Multiple variants of male and female urethral dilators.
• Standard Operating Room sterile and/or clean supply.
• Urethral and ureteral catheters, Foley bags and plugs, guidewires, ureteral stents and a variety of other urological materials.
• CPR, ACLS and ATLS certified personnel.
• Anesthesiologist and/or CRNA personnel.
RECEIVING (PRE-OP) ROOM:
• Separate from our waiting room.
• To establish IV access for fluid and medication.
• Post recovery room area.
• Two surgi‐chairs, a multi‐position chair and stretcher intended for transport and recovery of patient.
• Private restroom with four secure individual lockers for patient.
• Urology‐skilled nursing (RN and LPN) personnel available.
RECOVERY (POST-OP) AREA:
• Specifically designated space.
• On site urology‐skilled nursing personnel available for post‐op care and vital signs monitoring.
• Two cubicles with curtains to maintain patient's privacy.
• Wall outlet for oxygen and suction at each cubicle.
SUPPORT AREAS FOR OPERATING ROOM AND STAFF:
• Hands‐free surgical scrub station at Operating Room entrace.
• Surgical scrubs and accessories for personnel.
•Locker and shower room for physician and personnel.
•Biohazard material waste can and needle container.
• Available clean storage area with necessary equipment and cleaning/disinfecting solution.
• A separate soiled handling/storage area with provision for disposal of fluid waste.
• Equipped Janitor's closet.
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLY STORAGE:
• Medical gas supply.
• Crash cart.
DRUG DISTRIBUTION STATION:
• Protected and secured narcotic box with lock, located inside Operating Room area cabinet.
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATES:
• Health Department - Licencia de Botiquin.
• Health Department - Biohazard Material.
• Health Department - Radiology Permit.
• Fire Deparment.
• Arpe - Use Permit - Ambulatory Surgery Center.
• Municipality of Bayamón - Municipal Licence.
• Hacienda Department - Certificate of Registration of Merchant.